2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster L4-1.8L Turbo (AMU)
Lock Cylinder, Removing and Installing
Lock cylinder, removing and installing
CAUTION: Before beginning repairs on the electrical system:
- Obtain the anti-theft radio security code.
- Switch the ignition off.
- Disconnect the battery Ground (GND) strap.
- After reconnecting battery, re-code and check operation
of anti-theft radio. Also check operation of clock and power windows
according to Owner's Manual.
- Remove steering wheel with airbag unit.
WARNING: Special safety precautions apply to vehicles equipped with airbags. Refer to Airbag, Service Precautions.
- Remove steering column switches.
- Unplug connector -2- for reader coil.
NOTE: A spare key or workshop key is required for removing the lock cylinder.
The following steps can only be performed with an ignition key which has
a flat handle; i.e. a key without a light or remote-control transmitter.
- Insert spare key or workshop key into ignition lock and turn to
"Ignition on." An aperture will appear in the front of the lock next to
the ignition key slot.
- Insert a length of steel wire or a pin -1 - (diameter approx. 1.5 mm
) as far as it will go, as illustrated, and pull the lock cylinder out
of the steering lock housing -2- in the direction of -arrow-.
- Insert spare key or workshop key into the ignition lock and turn to
"Ignition on." Once again insert the length of steel wire into the
aperture in the front of the lock and push it in as far as it will go.
- Push the lock cylinder with ignition key all the way into steering lock housing.
- Then pull out the steel wire and press in the lock cylinder firmly until the catch engages audibly.
- Install steering column switches and steering wheel in reverse order of removal.